As leaders are taking time to recharge and plan for annual retreats, partners are discussing the future in meeting rooms across the country.
To help stimulate some ideas, I offer my list of ways to deploy staff this summer:
- Work with your international network to send select staff on a once-in-a-lifetime overseas internship.
- Focus staff on day-long reviews of each of your top 25 clients to gather business intelligence and uncover opportunities.
- Embed staff in key clients’ operations for a “free” week to review systems and processes. This will inevitably result in a list of chargeable projects for the future.
- Assign staff teams to review your firm’s most utilized processes and recommend improvements.
- Ask staff to document case studies highlighting client problems and how your firm helped resolve them. Capture these case studies and compile them for a marketing effort later this fall.
- Encourage staff to participate in community service events. Volunteer service is a much-needed, deeply rewarding experience for your staff and an image-booster for your firm.
- Assign key staff with a new service or skill to make a presentation at a firmwide staff meeting. Have all staff weigh in on how to utilize those new skills to help the firm succeed.
- Upgrade your CRM intelligence. Your staff knows a lot about your clients’ wants, needs and preferences, as well as their quirks. Focus on capturing that information so the next time the CEO of your favorite client comes in, she is impressed when she is automatically offered the frozen iced vanilla latte she loves.
- Give your referral sources a fresh perspective of how your firm handles similar challenges. Have key staff spend a week at a law firm to “shadow” their counterparts in other professions. Direct them to share how your firm handles certain issues, and encourage a reciprocal “peer review” by inviting your referral firm’s employee to spend a week at your firm.
- Review staff and partners. Not all will end up as superstars. If they are a drag on the firm, counsel them out and find someone else who will be a stronger asset.
There are plenty of ways to deploy staff during summer that will bring significant value to your firm. Get creative with your ideas and you will have a stronger staff and a stronger firm, better positioned to take advantage of opportunities.